fot

Re: Figure 8 gaskets

To: <Catpusher@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Figure 8 gaskets
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 20:55:37 -0600
----------
> From: Catpusher@aol.com
> To: rgk@flash.net; fot@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Figure 8 gaskets
> Date: Saturday, November 15, 1997 4:51 PM
> Hi Bob,
> did you see my posting to the FOT about liners/decking blocks to
> Alexander before your current Q's?

THIS ONE?

<<Joe, about decking TR2/3/4 blocks do NOT . What is the deck height in
the
block with std fig 8 gaskets and liners??? The thin fig 8 gasket route
is
terrible, and who wants to run around a race track to find some one to
shorten a liner, or deck a good block to fit previously shortened
liners.
sounds as if you should consider one of your "extra" blocks considering
the brazing, etc.  I assume that you know of the crack problems from
the
short head stud holes.  I have run blocks with terrible top surfaces
and
they have worked just fine.  The gasket seal around the bore is all
that must be perfect.  Why would the factory braze a new block??!!>>

> I slightly shortened my liners from BFE to match my undecked block
> and the copper fig 8s that I prefer.

How did you do this, off the top or the ledge?? My machinist says that
it
would be easy to mill .003" off the block sealing surface but he
doesn't
have a 4 jaw lathe to shorten the liners.

>The steel fig 8s can rust badly
> over time, and I like the compliance that the copper ones have.
> .017" is the proper thickness, although some copper ones
> used to be around .021 on the off occasion.

Hadn't thought about the "rust" issue. I measured some used copper
ones and they did run about a quarter thou thinner, slightly crushing
to fit. Using the cheap, Vicky Brit thin ones does seem to be asking
for trouble. What do you think about making up some .014" copper
gaskets from sheet stock?
TIA

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club