fot

Roasty Toasty

To: "'Chip Bond'" <spirals@ESINET.NET>
Subject: Roasty Toasty
From: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 13:05:00 -0600
Fire is not good. Witness the awful stories of pilots who jumped out of
their cockpits rather than being burned alive.

Our racing was nearly finished on the FIRST outing on a spring test day
in 1992. The bottom screw dropped out of one of the Strombergs and the
pumping gas lit off on the exhaust manifold.

A Lotus Seven spotted the flames, pointed at the bottom of the car, and
Sean came into the pits still unaware of the problem. When he came to a
stop it became apparent. Two of the first three of the fire bottles did
not work after being stored all winter. Disaster seemed imminent with
this brand new race car.

Repainted the hood and tidied up the engine compartment. Perhaps the
Nomex went to the dry cleaners. Got off easy.

Another dear friend had his car light up with a gas line rupture near
the firewall as he came through Canada Corner. Although he moved swiftly
it is never as fast as it can be when you are in a tightly closed GT
coupe and surrounded by rollcage. He was OK. I think he has Aeroquip
now.

This could be a very valuable thread....thanks for asking the original
question Kevin.

Glad you are still with us, Chip. Having a right hand drive car is neat
but obviously has its drawbacks.