fot

TR4 flares...

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 flares...
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 17:27:29 EST
TR4,

Bill Dentinger wrote:
<< Fender flares are not acceptable for TR4s in the vintage groups I race
with.  The cars are encouraged (supposed) to be prepared as they were
originally built and raced.  If you plan to run proper vintage wheels and
tires you don't need flares.  The problem usually is you have a car that has
them...well technically you have to take them off to be correct.  >>

And Jim Hill explained:
<< There were no flares on the Kastner-prepared, Charlie
Gates-driven TR4 in 1963 when I raced against it (and I had a
real good view of it as it lapped me). There was also a list of
factory-supplied TR4 competition parts at the time, and flares
were not on the list. On the other hand, these are 35 year old
memories, and I don't know what may have been SCCA approved or
tolerated after 1964 . >>

And Thom Kuby said:
>> I honestly don't recall seeing ANY flaring done to TR-4s, TR-6s and not on
TR-3s.  Seems to me, however, that Kasner (Group 44? that was Kasner wasn't
it?) might've flared his GT-6s and Spitfires there in the end...this is all
memory and I've been wrong before... >>

So, the concensus of those who were there is that I won't be able to run
with flares.  I guess it's a good thing I decided to buy a set of flared
fenders
off an old racer (I mean the car, not the owner) rather than flaring the
good stock fenders that I had on the car.  Now if I want to go racing I'll
just
have to work out a quick way to swap fenders around (and make sure the
red paint on both sets fades uniformly).

Lastly, at least for now, is there a source of rules that governed in '63 so I
can just look this stuff up in the future?

Thanks guys...
Don Marshall
'63 TR4 EP