fot

RE: Re-use of Pistons

To: Bob Kramer <rgk@flash.net>
Subject: RE: Re-use of Pistons
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:13:45 -0800
Is this to be a racing engine? If it's just for general driving it's
probably fine, but every ring increases friction and robs horsepower.
Piston measurements are almost impossible to get right with a
micrometer. The more modern the piston, the more true that is. Pistons
are tapered and frequently cam shaped. The clearance needs to be greater
near the exhaust valve since that is the hottest part of the piston.
Used pistons get even harder to measure since heating/cooling cycles
distort the pistons without really making them unusable.

If this is for a race engine, toss them and get something better. If
it's for a street engine, visually inspect to ensure there are no seize
marks, make sure the rings are all free, decoke and check the skirt
clearance with a feeler guage at the bottom of the cylinder (away from
the ring wear area).