fot

[Fwd: Fw: Reply to Triumph Stuff]

To: mjb@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fwd: Fw: Reply to Triumph Stuff]
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 17:40:20 -0500

--------------6C75663A234C

I hereby nominate Roger Beasley for membership in FOT list. Roger and I
met at Sebring. He is an experienced racer, and certified TR nut.
Welcome aboard, Roger!
--
uncle jack the carfrek
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer

--------------6C75663A234C

From: "Roger Beasley" <beeline@iline.com>
To: <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Subject: Fw: Reply to Triumph Stuff
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 12:54:53 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_01BD5D6D.5D7662E0

----------
> From: Roger Beasley <beeline@iline.com>
> To: vinttr4@forbin.com
> Subject: Reply to Triumph Stuff
> Date: Friday, March 13, 1998 9:08 AM
> I HAVE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS SENDING E-MAIL SO WILL TRY AGAIN WITH THE
ORIGINAL ATTEMPT.  WE FINALLY GOT THE TR-4 ON THE TRACK THIS WEEKEND AT
WEST PALM BEACH AT A SCCA EVENT.  IT WENT WELL BUT WE DID COMPILE A
SIGNIFICANT LIST OF NEEDED IMPROVEMENTS.
I'LL BE IN TOUCH AGAIN WHEN I'VE HAD MORE TIME TO LOOK OVER THE CAR.

> [...]

> local circle track.  In the middle of my second season, a hurricane
> destroyed the track.  This may have ben an omen, but in reality my
growing
> family (now a son and daughter) needed my time and resources, so my
racing
> activities were put on hold.
>
> After the move to Florida, my son became interested in racing and went to
> work for Joe Varde, who had an IMSA Firehawk team.  He traveled all over
> the US with them in '87, the year they won the championship.  He
continued
> to be very interested in racing, so I gave him a gift certificate to the
> Brands Hatch Driving School for Christmas '89.  He finally attended his
> SCCA school in '91 and began racing a borrowed GT-4 Toyota.  Soon after,
> bought an ITC Toyota and reattended school at Savannah.
>
> In '93 I ran for South Atlantic Road Race Championship (SARRC) points and
> wound up second, out of 84 entrants in the class.  Along the way, I set a
> class lap record at Sebring and won four of the seven SARRC races I
> attended that year.  I was also the regional runner-up in spite of not
> specifically running for that championship.  I continued to run my ITC
car
> with an occasional shared drive with a friend running the enduro
> championship series.  I sold the Toyota in '96 and bought the '62 TR-4 in
> Nov. '96.  I blew up the engine on my first outing, a Solo I at Sebring.
> After a false start with a local "Triumph expert" and machine shop, I
took
> the engine pieces to Glen Effinger.
>
> It has been a long process--the only things we used from the old engine
> were the manifolds and carbs.  It was a rod failure that started the
> "hand-grenade"  so, after x-ray testing several sets of stock rods, we
> decided to bite the bullet and use Carillos.  That sort of broke the dam
> with forged pistons and other improved items following as Glen has so
> advised.
>
> The previous owner is John Lucas, from the Tampa area.  Although I don't
> have any documentation from before John, the car was reportedly built by
> Rick Kline about 1970 for a client.
>
> As of yesterday, the engine is in the car and we plan to start it this
> weekend.  If all goes well, we will participate in the Sebring 12-hour
> preliminaries.  The plan is for my wife, Terry to co-drive in the Sunday
> enduro with me.  Her increasing interest in auto racing is a pleasant
> surprise as she has been mostly interested in sailing, up until recently.

> Her interest began growing when she bought a Miata and began autocrossing
> and attending Miata Performance Schools at Sebring.  Her birthday present
> last August was a Solo I approved roll bar.
>
> Well, if I haven't gone entirely overboard, I am hanging pretty far over
> the rail.  You may wish to do some judicious editing before passing this

color=3D"#000000">&gt;<br>&gt; To: <font =
color=3D"#0000FF"><u>vinttr4@forbin.com</u><font =
color=3D"#000000"><br>&gt; Subject: Reply to Triumph Stuff<br>&gt; Date: =
Friday, March 13, 1998 9:08 AM<br>&gt; I HAVE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS =
SENDING E-MAIL SO WILL TRY AGAIN WITH THE ORIGINAL ATTEMPT. &nbsp;WE =
FINALLY GOT THE TR-4 ON THE TRACK THIS WEEKEND AT WEST PALM BEACH AT A =
SCCA EVENT. &nbsp;IT WENT WELL BUT WE DID COMPILE A SIGNIFICANT LIST OF =
NEEDED IMPROVEMENTS.<br>I'LL BE IN TOUCH AGAIN WHEN I'VE HAD MORE TIME =
TO LOOK OVER THE CAR.<br><br>&gt; Greetings from sunny Florida! =
&nbsp;Glad to hear that you made it back home. &nbsp;I<br>&gt; hope your =
trip was uneventful--we have been watching the news and it seems<br>&gt; =
your weather has been pretty rotten. &nbsp;Terry, my wife and I have =
thought<br>&gt; about you and your family with each weather report. =
&nbsp;We really enjoyed our<br>&gt; visit with you at the track. =
Triumph information. <br>&gt; I just subscribed to the two lists you =
recommended. &nbsp;And, I would<br>&gt; definitely like to subscribe (be =
invited) to join the friends of Triumph.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; I grew up in =
South Texas around the Corpus Christi area and graduated from<br>&gt; =
Texas A&amp;M University, Kingsville. &nbsp;I am an Energy Engineer and =
have worked<br>&gt; for electric utilities most of my career, with a =
side trip as a partner in<br>&gt; an imported car parts and service =
business. &nbsp;With the advent of the South<br>&gt; Texas oil bust in =
the mid-eighties, I sold my interests to my partner and<br>&gt; came to =
Florida where I have worked for Lee County Electric Cooperative<br>&gt; =
most of that time. &nbsp;Presently, I am the senior =
Commercial/Industrial<br>&gt; Advisor &nbsp;&nbsp;and Key Accounts =
Manager.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; My interest in racing began while attending =
graduate school at the<br>&gt; University of Houston--they had an =
autocross on campus and I entered my '65<br>&gt; Mustang. &nbsp;I was =
instantly hooked. &nbsp;I joined the SCCA and began working<br>&gt; =
corners at races which took place at Galveston Scholles Field. &nbsp;I =
bought a<br>&gt; Spitfire and continued to autocross even after moving =
to Dallas. &nbsp;Worked a<br>&gt; Trans-Am race at Green Valley =
Raceway--Gurney, Jones, et al.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; I moved back to South =
Texas in '69 and began crewing for a friend who was<br>&gt; running an =
H-Prod Fiat 850. &nbsp;With his help and encouragement, I built =
a<br>&gt; C-Sports Racer from NSU components and went to driver's school =
at Texas<br>&gt; World Speedway in 1971. &nbsp;After a very few races, =
TWS shut down leaving us<br>&gt; with no tracks in the state. &nbsp;I =
sold my CSR and built a stock car for the<br>&gt; local circle track. =
&nbsp;In the middle of my second season, a hurricane<br>&gt; destroyed =
the track. &nbsp;This may have ben an omen, but in reality my =
growing<br>&gt; family (now a son and daughter) needed my time and =
resources, so my racing<br>&gt; activities were put on hold.<br>&gt; =
and went to<br>&gt; work for Joe Varde, who had an IMSA Firehawk team. =
&nbsp;He traveled all over<br>&gt; the US with them in '87, the year =
they won the championship. &nbsp;He continued<br>&gt; to be very =
interested in racing, so I gave him a gift certificate to the<br>&gt; =
Brands Hatch Driving School for Christmas '89. &nbsp;He finally attended =
his<br>&gt; SCCA school in '91 and began racing a borrowed GT-4 Toyota. =
&nbsp;Soon after, I<br>&gt; bought an ITC Toyota and reattended school =
at Savannah.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; In '93 I ran for South Atlantic Road Race =
Championship (SARRC) points and<br>&gt; wound up second, out of 84 =
entrants in the class. &nbsp;Along the way, I set a<br>&gt; class lap =
record at Sebring and won four of the seven SARRC races I<br>&gt; =
attended that year. &nbsp;I was also the regional runner-up in spite of =
not<br>&gt; specifically running for that championship. &nbsp;I =
continued to run my ITC car<br>&gt; with an occasional shared drive with =
a friend running the enduro<br>&gt; championship series. &nbsp;I sold =
the Toyota in '96 and bought the '62 TR-4 in<br>&gt; Nov. '96. &nbsp;I =
blew up the engine on my first outing, a Solo I at Sebring. <br>&gt; =
After a false start with a local &quot;Triumph expert&quot; and machine =
shop, I took<br>&gt; the engine pieces to Glen Effinger. &nbsp;<br>&gt; =
old engine<br>&gt; were the manifolds and carbs. &nbsp;It was a rod =
failure that started the<br>&gt; &quot;hand-grenade&quot; &nbsp;so, =
after x-ray testing several sets of stock rods, we<br>&gt; decided to =
bite the bullet and use Carillos. &nbsp;That sort of broke the =
dam<br>&gt; with forged pistons and other improved items following as =
is John Lucas, from the Tampa area. &nbsp;Although I don't<br>&gt; have =
any documentation from before John, the car was reportedly built =
yesterday, the engine is in the car and we plan to start it this<br>&gt; =
weekend. &nbsp;If all goes well, we will participate in the Sebring =
12-hour<br>&gt; preliminaries. &nbsp;The plan is for my wife, Terry to =
co-drive in the Sunday<br>&gt; enduro with me. &nbsp;Her increasing =
interest in auto racing is a pleasant<br>&gt; surprise as she has been =
mostly interested in sailing, up until recently. <br>&gt; Her interest =
began growing when she bought a Miata and began autocrossing<br>&gt; and =
attending Miata Performance Schools at Sebring. &nbsp;Her birthday =
present<br>&gt; last August was a Solo I approved roll bar.<br>&gt; =
far over<br>&gt; the rail. &nbsp;You may wish to do some judicious =
Beeline Racing</p>
------=_NextPart_000_01BD5D6D.5D7662E0--

--------------6C75663A234C--