fot

RE: The engine report

To: "'Amici Triumphi'" <fot@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: The engine report
From: "Bownes, Robert M. (EXCH)" <RMBOWNES@intermedia.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 23:40:53 -0400
Having done this once, twice, or perhaps five times now to an 1147,
perhaps I can be of assistance....

>1. A valve sitting in #3 piston cylinder, nicely bent at about a 25
>degree angle

My, isn't that festive!

>4. Water/antifreeze filling #3 cylinder (piston was about 3/4 of the way
>up), and in the rest of the block (may have drained into the other areas
>from that one cylinder)

This can arise from water that doesn't drain from the head. Though I
would have everything (block & head) checked.

>I was so tired from the weekend and from the head removal (darn those
>header bolts behind the carbs!) that I didn't really look at the head.
>I'll do that tonight.

Those bolts should be trivial! It takes a 9/16 (or is it 5/8, i can't
remember this late at night) socket, a universal, and a 8" extension.
They come right off...(I can have the motor out of the Spit in 45
minutes or less nowadays if I have someone to help lift off the hood...)

>Can the piston be salvaged and reused?

It is a desk trophy. It is simply not worth the $80 to put a suspect
component back into a race motor unless it is your only choice the night
before the Runoffs.

>The valves are stainless (105 3551 S stamped on shaft).  Where is the
>best place to get more of these and how much will they cost (gritting
>teeth)?  Should all of the valves be replaced, or just this one?

I'd replace the single valve. I'll look for a replacement source when I
get home, but it should be easy.

>I have a good competition engine shop here to do the work, so I don't
>have to worry about that.  I will have the head magnafluxed before I
>have them do anything (I am worried about the water problem, too, now).

See above. Have the block checked too.

>PS -- The bent valve makes a good desk ornament...  ;)

At Len's Garage and Software hut, we have a wall of shame. It has on it,
one of Andy Mace's radiators, an oil pan with a bullethole (or so it
looks), a rod bent into a U shape, and a few other trophies....Mostly
mine I'm afraid...

iii