fot

Header fitment..

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Header fitment..
From: DLM Assoc <DLMAssoc@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 20:40:15 EDT
Amici:

Today I worked at fitting the new Stahl header to my TR4, preparatory
to having it ceramic coated.  With some judicious grinding I was able
get it to line up with the head studs, and with a little hammering of
the body tub I got it fitted.  It actually fits pretty well, compared to
all the stories I've heard, in that the collector lines up with the frame
in the right place rather than having to be heated and bent to fit.

The only concern I have right now is that one of the exhaust tubes
is touching the bottom of the intake manifold crossover pipe.  I've put
a little "dimple" in the top of the tube to give it some clearance, but
without really denting it I'm going to be lucky to get 1/16" between the
header tube and the crossover pipe.  My intention is to find a TR4A
intake manifold with the higher crossover pipe, but till then I have to
use the older style manifold.  The question is, am I going to get  into
any trouble (safetywise) if the hot header tube is touching the intake
manifold?  I guess part two is "does anyone have a good TR4A intake
manifold for sale or trade, preferably cheap?"

Thanks...
Don Marshall
'63 TR4 EPrepared