fot

Re: Con Rod Bolts

To: Richard Taylor <n196x@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Con Rod Bolts
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 06:11:28 -0500
Richard Taylor wrote:

> Amici'
> I am starting my tenth week in a one week project to build a new
> (ie,racier) motor for my TR-4.  The crank's been turned, the flywheel
> lightened, pistons,clutch,et al balanced and a box full of paraphanalia
> cleaned and painted.  The rewarding part is about to begin, I hope.
>
> A couple of questions have been raised about which I would like to seek
> sage wisdom...or whatever wisdom is available.

Sure -- here's a few cents' worth:

> 1.  What about connecting rod bolts?  Are harder ones better?  What about
> locking tabs? Locktite? What's best system?
Throw away lock tabs. Make sure you can turn bolts in by fingers at
least half way. Stock bolts do not usually fail. Better ones available
from BFE - Ken Gilanders. Use one drop of red loctite and torque to
factory specs.

> 2. Has anyone had good luck with the rear oil seal conversion.  I know it's
> a pretty strange concept think of a Triumph w/o the ability to establish
> its own territory in the pits, but what's your experience?

Works fine. Cures leak. Requires grinding the seal diameter of the
crank. Not usually very expensive.

> 3.  How about the windage tray in the pan?  Should I diddle with it whilst
> I have it antiseptically pristine?

I built a jazzy windage screen out of Moroso one-way screen. Lots of
work. Rewarding project. Did not add any hp or any other advantage, as
near as I can tell.

> 4.  What about the tappet bores?  Does anybody do anything about them to be
> assured that the tappets can rotate or do whatever tappets are supposed to
> do?

If this is an engine which has been running OK, leave them alone. If
it's a block that has been sitting around, hone lightly.

> 4.  And there are certainly a couple of other tricks I should take care of
> while the engine is fully undressed.  Any ideas?

Yes most certainly if you are going to use anything but a stock sandwich
gasket, email me and I'll pass along some info on how to keep the gasket
from leaking. Very important stuff.

--
uncle jack the carfrek
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer