fot

Another Weekend, another $500 damage to the TR6...

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Another Weekend, another $500 damage to the TR6...
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 17:17:44 -0400 (EDT)
Hi All.

I'm sure the list is quiescent (sp?) due to everyone getting ready for
this and that. You're all pulling your FV's to Road America for the BRIC
FV reunion, right? Oooops. Wrong group. BTW if you line up 100 FV's for
the start - where's the back of the pack? Canada Corner? Turn 5??? I
gotta see this...

So I'm getting ready for an autocross this weekend. I decided to try
Maine - just for laughs.  At any rate, I pull into my friend's driveway
and I hear this really annoying squeak squeak clunk clunk sound eminating
from the rear.

Well, I put the car up in the air and wouldn't you know, I broke the damn
differential mounts on the frame. As of this writing, I have the diff
half out - I had to drive 200 miles back home yesterday afternoon hoping
that the differential would not suddenly free itself from the frame....
I'll know the real damage tonight, but it looks like I got away easy and
just have to weld/box everything back there.

I should have done that job the winter! Oh well. No girlfriends for a
while so I can focus on the car. Not.

Keep in mind that I always tell folks to beef up the diff mounts. Do as I
say, not as I do...

I also have to avoid the infamous shipright's syndrome. I hear that
Detroit Locker calling me now: "Bob, you need positraction". And there is
that rear hub that's just starting to get a tiny bit loose... and the
axles should be crack tested...

So, no FTD in Maine. I'll have to go back in a couple of weeks and try
again. FWIW, I did get to autocross a bit, but it was in a SaTuRn. We
used my friend's wife's car to do a few "hot laps". I hope she doesn't
check the tires for a while, I'm sure we wore off a couple of year's
worth of rubber!

later,
rml

BRIC or bust!
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |