fot

RE: My last race report? (long)

To: "'Andrew Mace'" <amace@UNIX2.NYSED.GOV>, Chip Bond <spirals@esinet.net>
Subject: RE: My last race report? (long)
From: Chip Bond <spirals@esinet.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 15:02:58 -0400
The big problem for most has been the "full width" main hoop requirement.
And the fact that where alternate configurations were at one time accepted
(given a registered engineers seal) they no longer are.

Since a cage is the biggest expense in the chassis build, and very
diffulcult to modify, there are a lot of disgruntled folks out there.

In one of the races in October a spridget went inverted on the asphalt
mid-way through the chicane. He nearly turned over a furrow for 100 feet or
so, before coming to rest, still upside down. The driver was fine, the word
was that his cage, though proven highly effective, would be illegal this
year.

I'm big on safety, don't get me wrong. But the SCCA seems to be creating
solutions for non-problems.

And their attitudes towards the traditional older sports cars are less than
you may expect. My request to the comp board to allow any available
differential and axle assembly citing non existant spares was denied. Their
reason was that suitable assemblies are "available". The unoffical version,
acording to a member of the comp board that I know personally, was that
they let the Jensen-Healey have any rear end in 1995 and he won EP! Guess
they want to make sure nothing like that happens again...