fot

Re: Crankcase Breather

To: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>, Richard Taylor <n196x@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: Crankcase Breather
From: Russ Moore <rem9@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:43:08 -0400
What he said.
While I have only been dealing with a Spitfire, there was a significant
improvement in the ability to turn RPM after I increased breathing
throughout the engine. A commonly available location on all cars is the
former location for the fuel pump. I built a plate with an oil seperator
and fitting for two 3/4" hoses. Add to this the additional 3/4" hose off
the valve cover and you end up with an engine that feels fine upward of 8K
on the tach. I certainly don't recommend that in the big blocks but the
point here is by improving ventilation the engine was much happier as was
the driver with the elevated rev. This is only one of the components that
play a role, oil control should be looked at and baffles in the pan are a
must.
If you want a sketch of the device I built I can do that and get it to you.
Best regards.
Russ Moore
Spitfire #49
(maybe by Pocono)