fot

rear axle problems

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: rear axle problems
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:00:29 -0700
This doesn't sound like the usual axle tramp problem! Anybody got
suggestions? (It's a solid axle TR4a, if I recall correctly.)(

From: "Alan Friday" <afridayfam@email.msn.com>
To: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak>
Subject: Fw: CAR
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 08:54:00 -0500

Chris,
I just got this from my Dad.  We were experiencing some swerve when you hit
gas, let off and hit again. Pretty noticeable so we decided to re-bush front
end.  Now this rear end deal appears to be problem.  Thought I would forward
to you for any tips/thoughts.....
Thanks,
af

>The good news: We rebushed the right side of your car and added the
>extra bolt to each bracket as recommended by the guy at Vintage
>Triumph and Bob Brooks.  Everything really looked good and solid.  I
>got home at 1:15 AM.  We intend to do the left side tonight.    It was
>really a needed job (and actually more needed than we realized) - the
>bolt holding the front bracket was cracked and was just barely holding (no
more than 25% of the bolt still intact).  We replaced it, of course, and
added another one,
>also.  Everything is completely safe on that side of the front end
>now.  Everything we did was completely needed if the car is to be
>driven.
>Now, the bad news:  The swerve was the same (if not worse).  We were
>just disgusted!  When John and I drove the car after we finished, we
>couldn't believe it made no difference.  We got back and drove the car
>over the oil change pit.  John drove it forward and back while Bill
>and I observed underneath for looseness in anything.  Well, we found
>the problem!  The tube that comes out of the rear chunk is loose on
>the right side.  This steel tube is pinned to the center casting and
>should be a completely solid piece.  It turns slightly, but slightly
>is all that is required to give a real bad reaction at the wheel.  The
>spring and shackle are the only thing keeping the wheel from rotating
>and they give enough to cause the swerve.  We don't know the solution
>to the problem.  The pins holding the tube are loose and are problably
>a factory installed item which are never to be replaced.  If you could
>weld steel to cast iron (and I don't know if this is possible), the
>tube could just be welded in place.  Anyhow, I need to call The
>Roadster Factory technical department and see if they have a fix for
>the problem.  If you know of somebody to give a solution, feel free to
>get it for us.  It isn't something that will get any better (and will
>probably just get progressively worse).  I don't have the telephone
>number for The Roadster Factory technical (and also their hours of
>operation).  I think they are only available in the afternoon hours.
>Look these up and send to me ASAP.  I am going to get a new set of
>shock absorbers for the front .  They are just standard tube shock
absorbers (I have the one off right side to