fot

Vandervell bearings

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Vandervell bearings
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 08:13:37
For those of you who've given up on the Triumphs e-mail
list, this came through todya.  This may all be old hat
to you, but parts of it were new to me; I hadn't found
their web site, for example.

>Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 20:42:44 -0500
>From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
>Subject: Re: Identifying a set of Main Bearings, TR 4A
>
>They may have been made by Vandervell (the builders of the Vanwall Formula 1
>car of the late 50s).  They are now part of Glacier-Vandervell, and have a
>an American branch, the contact for which is listed in "Americash Mall".
>(http://www.americashmall.com/Classads/GlacierVandervell.htm)  Maybe this
>guy can identify the part number for you.  If they are Vandervell bearings
>they are excellent quality.  I think that Glacier-Vandervell have a division
>called "Clevite", that produce some of the old Vandervell bearings, but I
>may be misinformed on this!!

One of the "Team Twenty" (Fletcher Williams, etc) racers who used to
run a TR-250 had told me that he liked Clevite 77 bearings.  Now
I realize the connection.

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu