fot

RE: FOT re: insurance questions..

To: "'DLMAssoc@aol.com'" <DLMAssoc@AOL.COM>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: FOT re: insurance questions..
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 14:12:27 -0500
Don Marshall wrote:

> I now find myself with a pair of Triumphs (actually 3 if you count the
> disassembled TR3) that are off the road and uninsured.  What does one
do about
> insurance for cars that are unlicensed and only used for autocrossing
or
> vintage racing?  I'm pretty sure State Farm isn't interested in them,
but
> someone must be.

I don't know about State Farm, but American Family insured my TR6 during
the (long) non-driving portion of its restoration. Coverage for
comprehensive, fire, theft, etc., and VERY cheap. This would cover you
during all the time that the car is in the garage. Just make sure that
you've got coverage while the vehicle is being towed/trailered to an
event.

There are several specialty companies that provide insurance for
collector cars that are either not driven, are driven less that 2500
miles/year, etc. Check any issue of Hemmings or almost any of the
vintage racing magazines for ads. I'm not aware of any company that
writes coverage for accidents that occur on track, but you may want to
investigate personal liability coverage with your agent. Your car won't
be covered, but you need protection (and a legal defense) in case
someone sues YOU.

Jim Hill
Madison WI
SpyderWeb Vintage Racing