fot

Tracing some TR2 history

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Tracing some TR2 history
From: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:06:07 EDT
Judging by the list of cars that some of you have, this triump ownership stuff
is a serious disease. And I seem to have caught it. I have purchased the TR2.
It needs a lot of work before it would ever be ready for the track. And, in
all honesty, is more like a TR2 body covering a TR3 drive train.

I have traced the ownership back to a Mr. Gaasvig (Minnesota). I have not yet
been successful in contacting Mr. Gaasvig, but I do have his address and
telephone number, so it just a matter of time before I know a little more
about the car. Any of midwestern chaps know anything of Gaasvig or the car ??

The car was originally a white or cream color. However, it was repainted by
spray cans to red. Other than the fact that it was 1955 long door, there is
nothing very distinctive about it's appearance ( except the horrible paint).
And frankly, the replacement drive train in it is pretty much pure TR3. It
sports some bigger SUs, an overdrive, low ratio rear end, and came with some
pretty funky homemade wheels. Frankly, the wheel fins remind you of the
chariots in the movie Ben Hurr (One of those short wheel base ferraris would
have second thoughts about passing too close in the corner). It lacks a roll
cage, safety harnesses, or a fuel cell. That would seem to indicate that the
car was race before safety equipment or that the car was never race ( perhaps
autocrossed). Anyone shed some light on when a car would have needed to this
safety equipment to be raced ??