fot

RE: Overdrive testing?

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Overdrive testing?
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 15:58:42 -0800
Oddly enough, I've seen it work. A pain-in-the-ass customer of mine back
when I earned a legitimate living as a bike mechanic ran his BMW 75/5
motorcycle completely out of oil (he had a breather problem) and stuck
it. solid. When he brought it to the shop the engine could not be turned
over with everything dead cold. I quoted him the price for a complete
rebuild and after he regained consciousness he stormed out and dragged
the bike home. Next day he showed up with a running, albeit somewhat
noisy bike. He had filled the engine full of kerosene and got it to
break loose by rocking the bike back and forth in top gear. Once he got
it to turn over, he drained out the kerosene and replaced it with oil,
and started the engine. He hadn't even drained the oil to get the
residual kerosene (and probably bearing metal) out before he came
triumphantly back to the shop. The bike was still running at the end of
the summer when I left the area.

Pissed me off.