fot

Another interesting tidbit from w2w

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Another interesting tidbit from w2w
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 00:02:56 -0700 (MST)
I know a few of you are regular readers of the wheel to wheel email list,
so you've already seen this.

mjb.
----

From: FFCRACE@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 23:23:36 EST
To: wheeltowheel@wheeltowheel.com
Subject: re: group 44 TR8

Just a not about the TR8 racecars.  Group 44 did indeed have two TR8 coupes
that were very successful. Huffaker also built a TR8 coupe. I do not know much
about its history.
     Slagle Racing built two TR8s . The first was a coupe for the '79 season.
The car ran 5 races finishing second on each occasion. Mid season the plug was
pulled by SCCA because British Leyland had not produced enough cars at that
time. The second car was a convertible. This is the car every one seems to
remember. Ken won the last C prod championship in 1981 in this car. That was
teh year after the " Nissan hit squad " put the car into the wall in front of
pit lane. In '82 the was moved to GT1 and finished 5th , the first non-transam
car, at the runoffs.  "83 was the year of the "great wall of water " at turn
five which took out most of the field including the Slagle Racing TR8 .

    Present day: Both TR8s were purchased by a gentleman from Charlotte in
early '98. The coupe is restored and the convertible ,if not already finished,
will be done shortly. He plans to do some vintage racing with the cars so
hopefully we will get to see and hear them again soon.

Oh , BTW , I have documentation to prove the Slagle Racing convirtible was
faster than the Group 44 coupes .

Roger Troxell                             Crew and fabricator, Slagle Racing