fot

Re: Speaking of Cranks

To: pmcmull@ibm.net
Subject: Re: Speaking of Cranks
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:07:02 -0500
Patrick McMullen wrote:

> Bob,
>
> My TR-6 has seen 6200 RPM several times.  Stock crank, very balanced
> $$.  When I say several times...I probably could count the episodes on
> both hands.  Not real testimony to durability but it can be done.
>
> Pat in NC

Well, now -- this could be the makings of an interesting new thread.

What kind of rpm limits do the Triumph racers run? What shift points and
what rpms in hot-and-heavy-keep-him-behind-me duels?

I'll start off:  I have a stock crank, stock rods (meticulously
prepared), and a lightened stock flywheel. I run an MGB dampener
modified for the TR crank (yeah, I know, not ideal but it's cheap). Same
crank and rods for three seasons so far -- magnaglo the crank every year
and so far no cracks.

I shift at 6000 every time. I wind it to 6500 only when Joe Alexander or
one of the Tornado pilots gets my adrenaline flowing. I think that means
that during the last three years my engine has seen 6000 rpm a total of
over 7000 times. Interesting arithmetic.

I conclude that 4-cyl TR's, at least, can be rev'd to 6000 all the time
with no problems. I don't know about beyond that......

Anyone else care to share their rpm's?
--
uncle jack
(happiness is a legal race car that stays together...)