fot

Gearbox 101

To: "'fot@autox.team.net'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox 101
From: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@mccarty-law.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 13:33:54 -0600
As some of you may recall, my dad and I have been trying to diagnose a
shifting problem with my 72 GT6.  The gearbox was rebuilt last winter.
Long story short, it never shifted cleanly, either up or (most
particularly) down, double-clutching and matching revs.  The question of
the moment: before we pulled the engine/trans last weekend, we measured
the slave cylinder piston travel as another data point for the analysis.
Total travel was 7/16ths in. at the pushrod

Anyone happen to know how far the pushrod is *supposed* to travel?

I can't imagine that this is the source of the trouble, since I spent
the better part of two weeks in the spring last year shimming the slave
cylinder in and out with washers on the mount to the bellhousing.  Made
no difference at all whether I moved it in or out, 1/2 in either way.

TIA

Scott