fot

Free Spitfire

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Free Spitfire
From: Jack Wheeler <jwheeler@robus.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:04:41 -0500
I sent a note to the FOT list last week about a 1978 Spitfire that a friend
of mine is wanting to give away (free to a good home!)  I spoke with him
over the weekend about the car and have a little more information to pass
along.

One of the floor pans is pretty rusty, but he has purchased a new floorpan
from the Roadster factory and the new panel goes with the car.  Also, one
of the rear fenders had some rust, but he has purchased a new fender from
TRF, and that goes with the car as well.  I think those were the 2 major
concentrations of rust on the car.  Also, the car has a good title.

The engine had a few pieces taken off it when he got the car (timing cover,
etc.?), but I think all of the pieces were in the trunk.  He disassembled
the interior to inspect the floorboard rust, but I think he has all of the
interior panels.  i.e. all the pieces are there to put it back together!

This car is certainly a good source of parts, and could easily be restored
by someone who is good with a mig welder.  We have just given up on this
one to concentrate on more appealing projects (including a 100-4 Healy).

Please pass this along to anyone who you think might be interested.  Ted
Schumacher, how about a 'trade in' toward your TR-4?

Thanks for your help.    Jack.