fot

Synthetics

To: friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Synthetics
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:52:22 -0500
I switched to synthetics the first year of racing 'ol blue.

Quite Frankly, I did so because a guy who goes to our church volunteered
to furnish the oil for our car -- he is central region sales manager for
a lubrication company. Rather than just have opinions, and he has been
wonderful to talk with over the last three years.

His company does not go after the retail market. Rather, they target
fleet buyers -- truck lines, construction companies, farmers (50 gal at
a crack). The engine oil they make is semi-synthetic, also for some
technical reasons.

I won't bore you with any second-hand technical stuff, but my personal
experience was that when I disassembled my engine after the first year's
running, I was simply astonished at the wear-free appearance of the
parts -- pistons, cylinders, and bearings.

I have had one bad experience, as pointed out by others on the list.
Last year I put synthetic oil in right after rebuild -- don't do it --
rings do not seat well. After the next rebuild I will use dino juice for
the first day, then switch.

Happy drippings!
--
uncle jack