fot

Thrust Washers & Crankshafts

To: "'Amici Triumphi'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thrust Washers & Crankshafts
From: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:27:05 -0600
I dismantled the "rebuilt" engine that is to go in my TR3A. It does have new
pistons and liners, but it about ends there.

Typical error of putting thrust washers in backwards....a few thousand miles
on engine produces a crankshaft that is unusable in present form.

What is the FOT experience with such a crank? I suspect that my machine shop
will say that it beyond cleaning up, but have not discussed it with them
yet. I am aware of metalizing in Marshalltown, Iowa, but don't want to
resort to this yet.

I will put this one on the shelf, with the other one that looks like this,
and take down the crank that Chip sent me a couple of years ago. In the
meantime, what is the scoop on salvaging these cranks.

Thanks,

Joe