fot

Scattershields and flying bits

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Scattershields and flying bits
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:40:30 EST
Fellow FOT'ers and Foot Fetishists (pedalphiles?)

Thank goodness I have never "exploded" a flywheel, but I have had one get
loose in there. What a mess. It literally "chopped" the trans in two at about
4500 rpm (oddly enough the motor never quit) Even with a scattershield, it
took a very long time to stop as my feet were pulled up to around my waist til
the noise stopped!
Back in my salad days when racin meant in a straight line, I have seen a few
flywheels "fly". Not only do they take a heavy toll on flesh, they can tear up
a car pretty well. The floor and tunnel get shredded and the dash usually
takes a heavy dose, often trying to push it out through the windshield. All in
all, not something that you ever want to experience.

Scattered enough as I am...
       Nick in Nor cal