fot

SPONSORSHIP

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: SPONSORSHIP
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 07:17:45 +0100
Dear FOTers

Reading all the e-mail about the FOT decals and sponsorship reminds me of a
time when sponsorship on racing cars started to become a big deal in
Europe. Circa 1970-ish I was working in the Formula 5000 series as a race
mechanic. A formula 5000 car in the series suddenly turned up painted
BRIGHT NIPPLE PINK. - The team had obtained sponsorship from The London
Rubber Company, who, as  Bill Dentiger and Jim Hill will tell you,
manufacture CONDOMS under the brand name of DUREX - and 'DUREX'  was
plastered  all over this 'pink' F 5000 car.

Now this race was being televised by the BBC, who had a heart attack when
they first set eyes on the DUREX car. A high level board meeting was
convened at the BBC, who concluded, in the true tradition of  BBC propriety
and exactitude, that under no circumstances should this car be televised.
Threats of sackings were also issued to any cameraman who disobeyed orders.

The task proved extremely difficult for the BBC cameramen because when the
flag dropped the pink DUREX car was leading the race for much of the time.
The race turned out to be a bad advert for DUREX, however, because the car
eventually went out with a burst tyre!!.

Yours in Triumph

Paul

televise this car. under any circumstances circumstances be