fot

Steering Question

To: "FOT" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Question
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 06:47:53 -0500
Good morning, FOT.

My car started life as a 66 TR4A solid axle. During its earlier life as a
SCCA EP car, much of the car was replaced including the frame, with the
frame from a TR4. Today, there is a mix of TR4 and 4A parts in the car,
including the front suspension.

Jack Drews noticed that my tie rod levers seemed too long, the tie rod ends
seemed to be angled towards the front of the car at a significantly greater
angle than the ones on his car. Last night, I looked at the Bentley for 4's
and 4A's, and found that the TR4 tie rod lever was approximately 5.6" long,
while the TR4A tie rod lever was 7.18" long.

Jack's theory is that Triumph may have wanted to slow down the steering on
the 4A's, perhaps due to possible complaints of twitchiness on the earlier
cars? As I prepare the car for its first real return to the track in 14
years, is there an advantage to one of these tie rod levers versus the
other? All opinions, thoughts, theories, graciously accepted.

Thanks as always.

Irv Korey
Highland Park, IL
74 TR6 CF22767U
TR4A CT52499 (almost ready vintage racer)