fot

Re: Tires...help

To: Bob Kramer <rgk@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Tires...help
From: Wes Dayton <wdayton@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 19:35:42 +1000
Interesting to see what looks like some similarities with what's going on in
Australian Historic Racing - at least the tyre (tire) situation.  I've been
running Hossier Vintage TDs (5.50x15) for over a year.  Recently, Yokohama
A008Rs were approved, but before I could buy a set, the 195x15 versions were
withdrawn.  I wonder if that's what has prompted Bob's change?  There seems to
be a great debate here - several swearing they improved significantly for the
A008Rs, others steadfastly sticking with their Hoosiers.  It will be interesting
to see how you get on.

Our allowed tyres are strictly restricted.  Basic rule is 5" width, original
diameter and minimum 60% aspect ratio (specifically 185x15 for me).  Then they
superimpose an approved list.  All boils down, for me, to two choices:

    1)  The Hoosiers
    2)   Dunlop Racing CR65.

For my car, the Hoosiers fit nicely.  By the way, my wheels (steel) are made up
using Saab centres which solved a nasty cracking problem!  I don't know what
Panasports are.

Finally - it looks that they are about to approve the Yokohama A032H here, but I
don't think they make it in a size I can use.  Anyone using them?

p.s. Bob - I know I probably didn't help you solve your problem!!!