fot

Re: Decals

To: wdayton@ibm.net
Subject: Re: Decals
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 09:32:39 PDT
  I could give you a great convoluted history on the FOT logo... but
  it would be a lie... Basically Joe Alexander approached me about
  putting a design together for the group...

  Initially I thought about a cartoon but the FOT races everthing
  from TR2s to (I think) Vitesses. Some of us don't even race. So any
  one TR would slight the rest... The FOT is a loose cadre of TR
  enthusiasts that pitch in an help each other. Just plain folks no
  blue bloods, y'know?

  Well, I thought a neat spoof would be a hearldic blazon (as if we
  were some sort noble order). Yes, the oil can relates to the leaks.
  Yes,  the gaunletted fist with broken lightning bolt refers to
  Lucas. Originally the crossed flags were "faster car behind" (blue
  with the white diagonal bar) and "debris (or oil) on track" (yellow
  and red horizontal bars), again a poke at our British heritage.
  Cooler heads thought that the checkered flag should be in there
  too. Finally, I thought the latin "Amici Triumphi" added just the
  right touch of faux nobility to finish the joke. BTW, there is a
  reference to the later Triumphs by the laurel wreath that graces
  the enclosed helmet.

  Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois
1962 TR4 (CT4852L)