fot

RE: Race report from Homestead

To: Mike Jackson <grand_wazoo@flinet.com>,
Subject: RE: Race report from Homestead
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 12:29:23 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01BEA09B.96CB0CC0

God, I hate Pintos in races. Back when I was racing a Rabbit in ISSC, just
after I got my area license, there was a Pinto racer gridded in front of me
that came back to talk. He confided that he had lost fourth and would have
to overrev his engine, so I should be careful at the end of the straight
since I was bound to overtake him (my qual times were substantially faster,
but they gridded me in the back because I had just pulled off my novice
stripes). He didn't want me to crash as a result of his dumping his oil.
Sure enough, I caught up to him and his buddy (also in a pinto). They were
all over the track in the infield, and the best place to pass would have
been at the end of the straight, outbraking them. But I got nervous and
backed off every time, until I finally figured out I'd been had. Naturally I
stuffed them both with vigor on the next lap, enough so that the steward had
a word with me about the bounds of racing aggression as applied to
wet-behind-the-ears drivers.

Now everytime I see one with number on it I want to kick in the radiator.