fot

leaks

To: <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: leaks
From: "mordy" <mordyd@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 19:39:42 -0500

Some engines never leak and others leak all the time.  Some coolant leaks
can be mitigated and stopped with some radiator stop leak product
(alumaseal..) .  We have done this at track side on several motors all with
good success.  Naturally, the E-Ticket team is lucky.  Having liner
protrusion @ .003 on each quadrant  is excellent.  I have found that gasket
preparation is (dressing) is also quite important.  I now rec. using a
combination of two products.  Some sort of easily applied bonding agent
(permatex 300 or aviation gasket sealer) as a base followed by two thin
coats of aluminium spray paint or bumper chrome paint - very small particles
(smaller than copper kote).  I make gaskets for a very aggressive drag racer
(honda automobile) he dynos his motors somewhere over 450hp out of about
2liters.  He uses aviation gasket sealer..and "o" rings his liners..

it is also important to be sure that when using a copper gasket the
Roughness Average of the deck and head be such that it is smooth enough for
copper gaskets.  Most manufacturers rec an RA value for stock fiber type
gaskets not copper.  Most machine shops use stock values unless told
otherwise....

Mordy
www.headgasket.com