fot

Re: Spitfire inlet manifold

To: "Greg Solow" <Gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire inlet manifold
From: Russ Moore <rem9@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 15:47:41 -0400
Greg,

Well, there are two different things here. The most common way to achieve
what you are trying to do is to use a Mk3 Spitfire manifold and either a
header or a Mk 3 exhaust manifold as opposed to the miserable 1500cc
product. That is one way and very often done using the pair of HS-2 SUs
from the same car (1968 Spitfire, 1296cc Mk3.

Another option is to get an manifold and carb set from England for the
1500cc engine. This setup used a pair of HS-4s and had wax pot jets. If
you are not raising the compression and not replacing the cam, this may
not add any gain over the pair of HS-2s.

I may have the earlier setup and I believe you can get in touch with Ted
Schumacher to get a set of the Bitish later version at TS Imports.

I have done both conversions and they are a great improvement over a
single carb setup especially if it is a Stromberg. Best of luck. Let me
know if you have any questions.

Russ Moore

Brooktondale, N.Y.