fot

Re: Panoramic Photo/SVRA MG/Triumph Challenge

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Panoramic Photo/SVRA MG/Triumph Challenge
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 14:43:18 -0400 (EDT)
Hi all,

Speaking of Mid-Ohio - I'm getting psyched. At this point, it looks like
a solo-jaunt for me, but that's okay - I can handle that. It's only about
700 miles each way. I just have to decide if I want to make the trip in
one fell swoop or try for an overnight somewhere on the way down... who
knows. I'll figure something out, though.

I do know one thing, I want to make sure I'm good and clear of the Boston
area at either rush hour. There are some serious nut-cakes around here.
This morning, two cars decided to try to fit through a space that was
wide enough for one - and whose lanes were determined by Jersey barriers.
The resultant crash took out 11 cars (with FIRE! in two of them), but
thankfully no serious injuries. At any rate, the pileup dislodged the
same Jersey barriers and nearly toppled them onto the roadway below. They
closed the road (I-495, I think) for two hours! For folks not from around
here - it's a major road. In other words, a real BUMMER for a lot of people!

Anyway, that got me to thinking about how good my regular TR6 is running.
Currently, it is running better than at any time in the last three years.
Well, the valve-job, new valve springs, carb replacement/rebuild and so
forth might have something to do with that... but it seems to be running
great. It'll def. make the trip to Mid-Ohio _both ways_.

But I have a problem... please bear with me Brothers and Sisters... there
is an SCCA Solo II National Tour about 30 miles from my house this weekend.
Should I give in to the temptation and enter the car for that one?? I
mean, I have no hope of Trophying, mostly due to 3+ year old Hoosiers and
the fact that a couple of serious National Level DSP cars will be at the
event, but I digress.

If I enter, I could finally cause the tires to gasp thier last breath.
That means that I would have no rubber on that car for the VTR National
in Portland, to be held July 28th through August 1st... which means that
I'd be forced to run only Khartu there.

And there lies the dilemma... I _could_ spend the weekend working on
Khartu and get the paint done and then start doing the few motor/tranny
things that need to be done next.

Decisions, decisions.

And here I was thinking that this National Tour would be the Triumph of
National Tours. As of about two months ago, I thought I had at least 5
Triumphs more or less committed to be there. But it looks that will not
happen. Even local regular Bob Totten has bowed out of running his LeMans
Spitfire - NO TRIUMPHS.

Must I enter to uphold the Triumph name?

Yours in Triumph(s)
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |