fot

Order those lilies soon!

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Order those lilies soon!
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 02:17:17 -0600 (MDT)
Yes folks, don't delay, get those flower orders in now before the funeral.
It won't be long, these, uh, darn little Triumphs will be the death of me
yet!

So last week I finally manage to rush about and get Killer to the point where
one can hop in, switch on the fuel pump, turn the key and have him roar into
life.  And after a good three or four hour sleep friday evening, I get up and
head to the shop to load up.  The British Field Day was great fun, lots of
neat folks and neat cars, and I made about a quarter million runs around the
little autocross course in Killer.  Even found a few other folks brave enough
to take the wheel themselves.

Then off to the Olde English Festival at the church for a brew or two and a
bite to eat.  Many hours later, the festival cleanup is done, celebratory
champagne is consumed, we call Jenny over in England and wake her up to chat,
time to head home for another few hours of sleep.  Jump (Ha!) out of bed and
head for the SCCA autocross.  Killer is running well, but just doesn't seem to
jump quite like I expected when the tall, skinny pedal is pushed.  First time
out this year, maybe I'm expecting too much. Still put in a decent performance,
but over a second behind a fellow we should have beaten.  So it goes.

Tonight, a meeting to discuss various issues about the upcoming IVR weekend,
than to the shop for some more bodywork, on both Killer and Racket, my street
Spitfire.  Killer's bonnet is open, and being too lazy to push, decide to fire
up the motor and drive three feet.  Jump in, pump the Webers, and something
looks odd.  I waggle the gas pedal again, looking at the linkage.

Turns out that the grub screw on one side of the throttle linkage casting had
come out, so the pivoting bar that holds the carb end of the throttle cable
was sort of just flopping in the breeze.  Chances are I ran sunday's event
with who knows how much less than full throttle on the Webers.  Doh!

Earlier today I got my safety wire and pliers back from the fellow who borrowed
them a while back.  The screws will NOT fall out of the throttle linkage again.

mjb.