fot

MG/Triumph Clash at Mid-Ohio

To: fot@autox.team.net ('fot@autox.team.net')
Subject: MG/Triumph Clash at Mid-Ohio
From: BillDentin@AOL.COM
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:30:38 EDT
Amici:

Yeah!

It were awesome!

It was Joe Alexander's (and Mark Palmer's) show, so I'll not steal his
thunder.  Let him tell it, but it was clearly THE place to be this past week
end.

I had some carb problems all week end.  My car would run like a banshee, and
then load up throttle steering through some corners.  It would take 200 feet
to clear up, and anyone in the area could pass me at will coming out of a
corner.  Still got down to two minutes and change in the Sunday feature race.
 I was happy with that, as 1:59 and changes is about as fast as I go at
Mid-Ohio.

Three impressions stick:

1.  How well everyone behaved.  These were HUGE grids (70+) in some sessions,
and ALL MG and Triumph drivers I observed are to be commended.  Competition
was fierce, but I saw no serious overdriving.

2.  Kent and Neal Howard (father and son team) could not be kept down.  They
were breaking rocker shaft studs right and left, and I don't know what all.
But they just kept making repairs, and to my knowledge, still made every
major session.  That is commendable, as they do not have that much time in
the hobby.

3.  It was great to see Bill Warner (in the ex-Group 44 PLN/TR6) coming up
behind me.  I was the last car under the bridge, before he took the First
Over All checker in the MGTriumph Clash Race, so at that point I knew he won!
 I got so excited, I forgot to keep chasing the car in front of me.  I still
had a lap to go.  It was great.

Bill Dentinger

PS

The first three cars were Triumphs, which was great, but the top ten included
five and five, which indicates a nice level playing field.  The Munoz and
Gonda MGBs where VERY impressive, as was Steve Plater's MGC.

As the First Recipient of the Bill Ames FOT Traveling Award, I got to select
the Second recipient.  I chose GLEN EFINGER, the so-called 'Bearded Wonder',
who wrenches so many TRs, to such a high degree of performance.  The driver's
all seem to get enough attention, and it is deserved, but WE all know that
you cannot do ANYTHING without good equipment.  Congratulations to GLEN.