fot

Re: TR6 pinion seal

To: bob bownes <rbownes@neworks.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 pinion seal
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 14:51:43 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, bob bownes wrote:

> Anyone have a TR6 pinion seal in stock that they'd be willing to drop in a
> fed-ex envelope (I'll provide the account #) Axle seals too, but they are
> less critical.

My case is similar to Mark's - I know I have several sets of all the
seals for TR6 diff's out in the garage... or is it in the basement - or
is it both? At any rate - I will take a look tonite.

I'd like to offer the following: I have purchased all these seals from
the local NAPA dealer on several occasions, and the parts that I got from
them were first quality parts... in fact I got my first neoprene type
seal for the pinion flange seal from them. As I'm sure you're aware - the
original on the older type diffs were _leather_.

So check with those folks as a source.

> Got one with lube pouring out of it...

Hmmm. Sounds like a leather one.

> On a related note, disassembled two TR6 diffs over the weekend. Both have
> the same failure mode, both appear to have had cracks in the pinion gear
> that come from a stress riser from the original machining. One in fact had
> a tooth break in half with the crack underneath still in place (and still
> oil stained). Both have had a tooth shear off at the base of the tooth with
> obvious beach marks rolling across the root.
>
> Other than too much HP, any suggestions as to why?

Well, call me a heretic, but I'll offer:

Bad design??

> Andy: I have a TR4 axle set for you...
>
> Thanks!

lemme know if you still need the seals.

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |