fot

ROBSON - page 10, August 99 Triumph World

To: "Terry Buhay" <terryb@trader-ab.com>, "Robert M. Lang" <LANG@isis.mit.edu>,
Subject: ROBSON - page 10, August 99 Triumph World
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 20:59:59 +0100
Listers of Diverse Triumph Lists
I apologise in advance for excess bandwidth - but this is important for
Triumph enthusiasts the world over. The August issue of Triumph World may
yet not have hit your newsstands. In that event, the following article I
have written for a UK Triumph Club magazine may be premature for those of
you who have not yet been able to study your copy of TW. All that
notwithstanding, the general contents of Graham Robson's bi-monthly column
have stirred up a hornet's nest in the UK. Those of us on this side of the
pond are both greatly angered and disturbed at his outspoken and what we see
as a grossly inaccurate and unfairly biased report. Furthermore, it is my
understanding that a number of us have written to the Editor of Triumph
World expressing our considerable displeasure at the tripe which has been
served up in the name of 'informed opinion' and which, as consumers, we have
had to pay money to read. If you are of the same view, having read what
Robson had to say, I urge you to submit your own opinions to me off list. I
am more than willing to consolidate these replies - whether submitted
anonymously or not - and mail them to the owner of the company responsible
for the printing and global circulation of Triumph World. It goes without
saying that I will be happy to relay those responses to these lists at a
later date.

Jonmac

Did you read 'Robson' In the August issue of Triumph World? Wasn't he in a
grouchy mood?
I think he'd plonked himself down at his keyboard with the biggest wooden
spoon he could find - and this was probably after getting out of bed that
morning via the equivalent of a bomb-proof blockhouse on the Atlantic Wall -
without a hard hat. Then he had a good old bellyache - and Uncle Tone
printed what he wrote.
Robson moaned endlessly about how Gaydon had forgotten this year was the
40th Anniversary of the Herald, and castigated the Centre for preferring to
celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the Mini. I feel certain there will be
many former Standard Triumph employees will be first in the queue in support
of the Mini.
Then, Robson had a go at all the Triumph enthusiasts throughout Europe who,
in his opinion, should have gone to STER (Standard Triumph European Rally) -
but didn't.
Then it was back to more 'Gaydon Bashing'.
In his article "Time to speak up for Triumph," this 'high profile' Triumph
commentator speculated on a meeting which he alleges took place at the
Heritage Motor Centre - and which seemingly he did not attend himself. We
can therefore only conclude he based his resulting article on hearsay.
Not a sensible thing to do, especially if what you report is likely to be
published and a financial consideration may be in the offing as well?
Robson states a parts supplier is alleged to have commented to a meeting of
Gaydon management, "as far as we are concerned, the Triumph marque is dead
and buried."
Did the supplier say this, or didn't he? And more importantly, in what
context?
There are many variables to which these words might apply. Let me speculate
(flippantly) on just two of them.
The supplier could have been grossly over-stocked on Southern Cross front
bumper brackets or Triumph Ten van rear doors. There again, I suppose
there's even a possibility Mr. Supplier might have come to this conclusion
within his reported statement after driving past the former factory sites at
Canley and Fletch. If he did, he'd have noticed a large Supermarket and many
other modern business premises now stand where once there was a major motor
manufacturer.
In that respect, Standard-Triumph could certainly be said to be dead and
buried.
Robson does not develop his points with any logic - but goes off at
tangents. He concludes by implying Gaydon management might possibly heed the
supplier's comment and marginalise Triumph, while still keeping MG in high
profile.
Thus, within a few paragraphs, he comes to a conclusion and warning of dire
consequences that Gaydon management really will write-off Triumph. This is
also because, in his opinion, members of Triumph Clubs as a collective whole
within each club are, quote "bleating as separate, ring-fenced, insular club
outfits" unquote.
Would you regard yourselves as bleaters? Ring-fenced? Insular? Hardly a
compliment to quite a large group of people who, over the years, might have
done Mr. Robson a considerable financial favour by buying one or more of his
books. My own view is that Robson is about to jump on the bandwagon in
recommending everyone joins forces into one GURT big club - now, rather than
later.
I wonder why?
Might it just possibly have something to do with the fact that he's part of
Triumph Forum and someone has tipped him the wink that his illustrious
posterior will be first on the throne of this new organisation?
Who knows.
But, apart from everything else, this article about the demise of Triumph at
Gaydon's hand, isn't even journalism - and it certainly holds not one grain
of truth.
It's hysteria based on hearsay, several estate car loads of assumption and a
barrowload of new fiddle strings in which Robson cannot resist the
opportunity to "Gaydon bash" in any way the mood takes him.
On top of that, he's potentially putting the frighteners on many Triumph
enthusiasts who believe implicitly in everything he says. Doesn't everyone
believe him? He is ROBSON, after all.
Unfortunately and in this instance, his words are then made flesh by
appearing in Triumph World.
How daft can anyone get and what a sensationalist load of tripe! Is this man
beginning to lose his marbles? Is the material he is generating (which
people have to BUY before they can READ it) coming from a brain which might
be showing early signs of being a few cookies short of a full packet?
Whatever the reason, Triumph World ought to know better and not succumb to
printing such piffle - even if Robson did write it. This isn't the first
time this year that TW has slipped up. Bill Bolton, at Club Triumph took the
mag to task earlier this year on the inaccuracies in another article from
another regular columnist, Robin Penrice - and rightly so!
So why did Editor Beadle go into print? Surely he doesn't believe what
Robson had to say  - or is it something else?
Is it really because Robson is seen as such an all-powerful individual in
Triumph circles that people are frightened of him and don't want to upset
him - in case he has a tantrum and throws all his toys out of the pram?
I'm beginning to come to that conclusion.
Let's face it, Robson isn't Flavour of the Month at Gaydon - and to my
certain knowledge, this isn't a recent 'appointment.' The very mention of
his name either stimulates a yawn of boredom or a variable increase in blood
pressure - depending on who you're talking to.
Furthermore, the way things are going, with all his hot air, I wouldn't be
surprised if the only name likely to be permanently marginalised at Gaydon
will be that Robson himself - and not Triumph. Sticking my neck out, I
wouldn't be surprised if the marginalisation is already firmly in place.
Be assured, whatever Robson may say in all his pontificating and odes of
doom and gloom, TRIUMPH AT HERITAGE IS SAFE - and that's OFFICIAL.
What many do not yet know - including Robson, is that BMW is wholeheartedly
behind ALL the makes at Heritage - and no one make holds more sway over any
other. In simple terms and just concentrating on two illustrious sports car
names, Triumph and MG are equal - full stop (or, as our transatlantic
friends prefer to say, period).
It also looks as though the enthusiasts are in favour of what Heritage is
doing as well. Over 500 cars and 1500+ people attended Standard Triumph
Marque Day on June 30th.  Not bad at all when the 'Nationals' of the UK
based clubs are so close at hand.
So, believe what Uncle John is telling you.
Triumph as a make, means just as much to BMW as Austin, Land Rover, MG,
Morris, Riley, former Coventry and Solihull Rover, Standard, Wolseley and
Vanden Plas.
And don't heed any of this marginalising nonsense either.
Just because Robson has written a few books on the marque doesn't give him
carte-blanche to circulate alarmist hyperbole and possibly, as a result,
stimulate something which might turn into global panic on the part of
"bleating, ring-fenced, insular club (members?)."
As Bill Bolton said to Tony Beadle in his critique - "you can do better."
I'll drink to that - and because it's so important to me, I'll drink that
toast with the contents of a fresh bottle.