fot

Racing cars that go mountaineering

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Racing cars that go mountaineering
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:47:02 +0100
Dear FOTers

Thinking about Mike's experience at Grattan reminded me of a true and
identical happening at Brands Hatch in F5000 days (circa 1970 ish). My old
buddy Trevor Taylor was driving a Surtees TS5 as was my old school chum
David Hobbs.

When the flag dropped Dave, who was behind Trev, got a 'runner' and by the
time they got to the first right hander on lap one Dave was not only up
Trev's exhaust pipes but unfortunately touched one of his rear wheels.
Dave's TS5 climbed on top of Trev's car and when the duo came to a halt
Dave's car was pivoting right on top of Trev's with all four wheels off the
ground. Trev was trapped inside his car with Dave's TS5 'hissing' on his
helmet. The cars were soon parted and all was well with no injuries. I'd
run to the bend just as Trev started walking back to the pits. When I got
to him he said, "A fine bloody mate you are you might have brough me a cup
of tea while I was waiting for them to get me out."

Paul