fot

Into Every Life, a Little Rain Must Fall

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Into Every Life, a Little Rain Must Fall
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:36:17 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

This is a "test" of a possible "editorial". I'd appreciate feedback. It
is really meant to be read by Triumph owners, but I'm blasting several
lists, just to get the word out.

Rant Mode ON

While enjoying the thoroughly gorgeous late summer top-down criusing this
weekend past (and apologies to our SE US friends who are probably having
a bad time with un-invited guest Floyd as I write this), I heard a
disturbing piece of news.

Now, it is said that things change when there's money involved. I
couldn't agree more. Here's an example:

It is rumored (from a _very reliable source) that a principle organizer of
the British Invasion at Stowe, VT (to be held this coming weekend (Sep.
17-19), I might add) has/had used influence with one of the "sponsors" of
the Vintage Triumph Register National, in Portland, ME to have that
sponsor withold monies promised to the organizers of the VTR convention in
an effort to keep said event from effecting his _commercial_ event in VT.

First off, what a bunch of CRAP.

There is _NO WAY_ the VTR convention could possibly effect the British
Invasion. PERIOD.

While the British Invasion is a really big event, I'm appalled that said
organizer would try to torpedo another event by his alleged actions. In
fact, such actions actually serve to hurt the car community in general
and British cars enthusiats in particular, at least in this case.

Further related actions by said promoter have indicated that he and
others on his "team" have been approaching clubs in the New England
region offering them "compensation" for helping him run his event.

I say - tell 'em "sure, we'll take the $$$ that was supposed to
go to help pay for the trophies at VTR".

C'mon people. Don't take "blood money".

As a result, I'm asking people to silently boycott the Stowe British
Invasion this year and next. Admittedly, the Triumph community will have
little or no effect on the organizers' event - it is a pretty big one and
there is a great variety of really awesome British cars, but that's not
the point. If you signed up for the show this year - well then go. If
you haven't signed up, DON'T. If you feel like stopping by to look at the
cars, DO SO, from the edge of the field. Don't pay the admission fee or
in any way give money to the organizers of that event.

The point is, I'm not willing to help line the pockets of one or more
individuals in the name of being an Anglophile or British cars enthusist.
I'm asking you to do the same.  If you've been to Stowe, you'll probably
know what I mean. Everyone in Stowe makes a _lot_ of money in that
weekend... I really don't think the organizer has to go to Wax Companies
and the like to make his event stay solvent... au contraire.

So, I'm also asking one more consession. If you look on your VTR trophy
(if you were there and if you trophied), there is a little commercial
logo on there... take a piece of "racer tape" or other similar opaque
covering material and cover up that little logo. If you are really
"miffed" by the action of the "heavy hand", don't buy any product from
the "M" company. Now don't take any severe action about the "logo", it's
possible that some grass roots action like this proposed boycott will
bring the folks that made promises back in April and May of this year
back to their senses... and obligation, I might add.

And go to the CTR's Triumph event this weekend instead of Stowe. Wickham
Park, Manchester, CT., Exit 60 from I-84. See:

www.cs.cmu.edu/~rcm/wedding/wickham-directions.html

for a map.

And while you're in the area, stop by Coventry, CT and the Nathan Hale
homestead... he was my kind of guy.

And thumb your nose at every Bentley owner at Stowe (if you happen to be
there).

And _DRIVE_ your Triumph.

BTW, it's going to rain rather impressively this weekend in Northern New
England.

Rant mode OFF

Apologies to other "wax compaines" whose name starts with the letter "M".
That means "matronly" wax is okay...

Later,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |