fot

RE: Goodwood

To: "'GuyotLeonF@AOL.COM'" <GuyotLeonF@AOL.COM>, fot@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: Goodwood
From: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@mccarty-law.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 07:52:01 -0500
Hello all,

Yes, Goodwood was great.  I have to concur with Leon's feeling of having
died and gone to Heaven.  I honestly didn't know which way to look!  The
racing was fabulous to watch (made a little TOO interesting by the skill
differential among the drivers, IMHO -- see Leon's comment about some
git coming to a tire-smoking full stop on the front straight and making
a hard right into the paddock directly in front of overtaking race
traffic).  The paddock was absolutely unbelievable (I've got a little
bit of whiplash from trying to look at all the cars at once) and even
the parking lot was worth spending a couple of hours and a roll of film
in.

This was in no way the revolving museum I thought it might be.  Many of
these cars (and bikes) were being driven for real and with great skill
-- cold damp track and all.  I've often heard people say that the sound
of a BRM at full chat is not soon forgotten.  Those people are not
wrong.  I can't tell if my ears hurt due to the sound of the car or due
to my having had my fingers stuffed in them up to the second knuckle...
The Maserati 250 and Ferrari F1 cars were silent by comparison.

Big thanks to Leon for making the day fun.  The drive down through the
country-side was postcard-perfect -- I was so busy taking in the scenery
that I couldn't have been much company.  Leon's Vitesse makes noises
that my GT6 only aspires to and that was a perfect sound-track to the
drive.  I only got a little rain in my champagne at lunch served out of
Leon's picnic hamper (The rain in the plain goes mainly in the
champagne...?).

BTW, I can also report that the new version of the Mini Cooper goes at
least 110 mph before it starts to feel a little wiggly and insecure on
its skinny little Pirellis.  Traffic on the M-roads seems to flow at
about 90 mph all the time.  Wonderful country.  The Mini is also the
perfect car for the first-time London driver.  It's small enough to be
wedged into the tiniest of spaces.  Other traffic (even the cabs for
godsake) shows a healthy respect for the apparent willingness of
mini-drivers to make a hole in traffic where there is none (not me of
course -- it's all those other mini drivers).

Can't wait to go back...

Scott