fot

All British Day in Austin, TX

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: All British Day in Austin, TX
From: Susan Hensley <susan@bearcom.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 08:58:47 -0500
Hi all!

Got back last night from a very nice All British Day at Zilker Park in
Austin.  Bob Kramer and his lovely wife Barbara were essential figures
in organizing the event and making it nice for all who attended.  I
trailered Tristan the race Spit down there (it was my birthday -- how
better to celebrate it!) and installed him in front of Bob's gorgeous
blue TR6 and next to Richard Ceraldi's beautiful GT6.

The show was well-attended -- 111 cars: Mini's (incl. 3 panel vans and
several racers), Triumphs of all types (even SEVERAL TR250's), Austin
Healeys (big and little),  Rolls/Bentleys (every one of those darn cars
had a jar of Grey Poupon in it), a Jensen-Healey with a 4.3L V6 swap, an
old Land Rover, all sorts
of MG's, a few Jags, an Alpine, a TVR, and yes, a nice Singer with
working trafficators.  It was a fun day, and the funniest happening was
that a large Jamaican (or similar ancestry) guy with dreadlocks down to
his waist had come to the park in his Spitfire to play frisbee golf and
had no idea the show was going on until he drove by!

Cars there that were set up for racing were mine, a blue Mini, a red
Mini, and a beautiful chrome-bumpered MGB.  The blue Mini and Tristan
were the only dedicated race cars (permanent numbers, etc.)  You could
eat off the engine of the red Mini racer.  Several people from
Corinthians vintage race group showed up as well (with and without their
cars).

Tris sorta took first place in the Wild Card class by default and Bob's
good graces.  (Okay, they didn't have enough cars in the class and he
gave me an extra trophy to shut me up.)  I finally got Tris's engine
sorted out and running (Bob will verify this!), but was defeated at the
last minute by a clutch/transmission problem that I didn't have time to
diagnose or fix before leaving (it cropped up while Tris was sitting in
the garage, since everything was fine but the engine when I parked
him).  Guess I've gotta pull the darn trans *again*.  Sigh.

Thanks to Bob and everyone else who put on this event.  It was fun, in a
good location, and well-run.  Thanks also to Bob for all of the help and
goodwill!  Phil and I had a very good time.

Keep Triumphing,
Susan   :)