fot

annealing

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: annealing
From: "Mordy Dunst" <mordyd@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:44:04 -0600
RE: Re: figure 8 gasketsAnnealing copper:  The temp at which copper
anneals to the soft state is around 925d F.  It does not matter if you
quench or not quench.. Leaving it alone for several mins. will be just
fine.  The problem is that in an oxidizing atmosphere a film develops
and I have found that after several cycles of non-inert gas annealing
the copper becomes somewhat brittle...  I'm told this is not supposed to
happen but it does.  Most standard (perfectly fine and pure) copper is
called 110 alloy (99.6%Cu and .4%O2).  Oxygen FREE copper is available
but is quite costly and used for high quality circuit boards and certain
high and low pressure ovens.

Mordy

[Who, me behind in Team.Net stuff?  mjb.]