fot

Johnmacs observations

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Johnmacs observations
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:37:11 -0000

John Mac wrote

 It's also worth mentioning that had it not been for
> Standard's (and later Triumph's) CEO John Black, Triumph
> would have stayed 'vapourised' as of Nov 14 1940. You won't
> find any accolades passed in John Black's direction in any
> of Robson's books for the simple fact that GR is clearly not
> well-disposed towards him - and I don't think he ever has
> been. FWIW, there are a number of former key company people
> who do not agree with everything that Robson claims to be
> the gospel truth. To my certain knowledge, at least three of
> them are on this list and there are a number of other
> sympathisers with similar dispositions.

As most FOTers will know, John took up the torch and wrote an article in
the Triumph 2000 magazine hauling up Mr Robson on may points including
insulting remarks he made about the Gaydon Heritage centre.

Mr. Robson did not like John's challenge one bit, but many people did and
they phoned me to say so.

Mr. Robson replied to John's article and in it he stated (after John asked
what he actually did at the old company), "Under Harry Webster's direct
control I personally conceived the ultra special TR4 rally cars, the
Spitfire Le Mans cars, the Spitfire rally cars and the Triumph 2000 rally
cars in the period I was running that department for Harry Webster."

I have interviewed and spoken to 15 experimental engineers, who worked at
the company in that period. Just one example concerns the works Spitfires.
The experimental engineer who was directly responsible for the power
development on those engines said Robson was not, repeat not, involved with
any single aspect of this work, nor did he 'conceive' or oversee any of it.

Throughout my research, which has been considerable, I've asked engineers
about all the definitive engine and chassis modifications and development
on all the works cars of that era - and at no time was the name Robson ever
mentioned in connection with this work.

It really is about time Mr Robson learnt to temper his ego and his
arrogance with some down to earth humility. This courtesy, in no small
measure would stem the controversy involved with some of his writings - and
would also have the charm of novelty.

Paul