fot

Jack & Joe in Las Vegas

To: fot@autox.team.net, DSWM@AOL.COM, GFRIJOLE@AOL.COM
Subject: Jack & Joe in Las Vegas
From: TR3197@AOL.COM
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 02:44:02 EST
How can I add to Jack's wonderful precis of our adventure?

I'll try:

Every trip starts with the first step. Ours was with Son Mark in Iowa City,
just off I-80. Jack and I converged at Iowa City, IA and launched trip on
Wednesday last. (Thanks Mark & Missi)

Jack's BMW is a marvelous machine. It reminds me a of a airplane with
constant speed prop and retractable gear.

You have to think about about slowing the hurtling mass down well before
landing.

Directing the BMW down the Interstate Off-Ramp, at 90+, can be exciting on
I-40 (AKA: Route 66) especially when encountering slippery metal "cattle
guards" near the stop sign....chirp!...chirp!

(Throttle back, gear down, flaps...)

Regardless, the trip through the sun drenched corridor of the South West was
a more than anyone could expect.  Highs as much as 80 degrees going and 40s
upon return.

The worst thing that happened to us was that the Imperial Palace shut down
their display of classic cars during the week that we were there. Instead we
spent $1.25 in an unbridled flurry of gambling activity (TRUE). The fools and
their money were parted in about 38 seconds, but left us intact for the next
set of Hoosiers.

However, in quest of the Imperial Palace, we spent about five miles hiking
the strip on Sunday morning and then took a fifteen minute nap at Aunt
Phyllis' condominium before returning to the VARA event.  (She is about three
blocks off the strip so it was convenient... and we were tired)

While on the "Strip" some grisly looking guy handed me a couple magazines
touting the local talent. I opened it up and there was an  ad from an "Iowa
Girl".  "Nineteen and fresh off of the farm", she claimed in her ad. She said
could be in your room in 30 minutes and she would let you know something
about life with farm animals....this is not a familiar concept with
me...baaaaah!  (Hope this is not construed as something sexist)

I told this guy I already had discount coupons from the "Chicken Ranch" left
over from a prior visitor from England. Grisly looking guy looked at them and
determined that the coupons had long expired and that they had alreay been
well used. Besides, he said,  the coupons were only good for the purchase of
"chickens over 60 years old"...which seems a bit old for chickens. But what
do I know?

In any case, we saw Carol Shelby's facilities and got a tour of the new Las
Vegas Motor Speedway. Also, we did a side trip of to see Mt. Charleston. It
is my habit to go there when in LV as it in sharp contrast to Las Vegas
scene. Mountain top with skiing (in season)  and a very intimidating golf
course on the side of the mountain....(George Wright?)

VARA: The guys in Jack's BMW during the touring session at the track were my
relatives. Scofflaw that he is, Jack managed to get a black flag from a very
nice gentleman from VARA. Relatives duly impressed.

Forgiven, we motored on, at a more sedate pace....when in sight of the pit
lane, that is.

Relatives: Peg and George, Jeanie and Jim (and offspring Joe), Hugh & Bonnie,
Mary Rose and Phil, Martin....Aunt Phyllis, and more, were our hosts.
Wonderful family, I have. Thank you all....it was a memorable trip.

Friends: Mordy, Paul, Steve, Vince, Chuck ....nicest sounding TRs ever. Good
bunch! Less serious than I expected, the SoCal/LV FOT group. Billy Burroughs
and Mark Bradakis also joined in.

The Benford Banner ("Amici Triumphi") was flown from the Gasket Works rolling
pavillion) Truly a coast to coast Triumph.

VIVA VARA!

Joe

<<The Jack and Joe Western Tour from Iowa to Las Vegas and back is history
and we're home with car, wallets, and persons intact. A few
observations:

Mordy, Paul, Mark, Frank, and others are a nice bunch of guys to hang
out with, and standing around on the blacktop for three days talking
nothing but cars is still fun....

The AMICI TRIUMPHI banner has now been flown west of the Mississippi,
from the top of Mordy's trailer, which is a neat place to watch the
races.....

Putting five guys in my BMW 4-door for the touring session, and trying
to impress them, will earn you a request from the gentlemanly steward to
"please slow down, and please stop passing other cars" and a refusal of
the owner of the following TR6 to speak to me after the session.....at
least he was trying to keep up....

When the wind blows in Las Vegas, it REALLY  blows....

The Las Vegas Speedway borders on stupendous -- seven separate racing
venues on one site -- and you can rent a four-lap ride in a two
passenger CART racer for $200..we did not, what with our budget and
all....

I hate to say it, but the biggest thrill of the weekend was when one of
the Thunderbird acrobatic team from nearby Nellis Air Force Base buzzed
the racetrack at about 1000 feet, pulled up into a climb, and lit the
afterburner.....we could look right into the tail of that baby at the
orange inferno.....

VARA does a very intelligent job of establishing racing groups. They do
it by grouping together cars by the old SCCA classes rather than by year
and displacement. This eliminates such problems as pre-1963 corvettes
running in the same group with Sprites and Triumphs. I hesitate to
suggest this to other sanctioning groups, not wishing to once more be
requested to "sit down and shut up".

Having a race weekend with no ex-NASCAR cars and no Can Am cars gives
more track time to everybody else. We missed the vertical car class,
though, and would prefer to see that part of our racing heritage at
every event.

Between us, we spent $1.25 on the slots and quit because we didn't win
anything....

Joe doesn't fart nearly as much as reputed, but makes up for it with the
volume of his snoring.....

3804 miles in a BMW sedan at 80 - 90 mph is a really nice way to travel

Oklahoma state police respond well to the question, "Officer, do you
give senior citizen discounts?"

Spending 24 hours a day for seven days with your best friend, and
emerging with friendship intact, is a joy to be thankful
for..........and Thanks to everyone who helped us have a good time!

--
uncle jack and joe
(Mordy and Paul wannabees)

</XMP>