fot

RE: My mistake

To: "'greenman62@hotmail.com'" <greenman62@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: My mistake
From: Jack Wheeler <jwheeler@robus.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 10:38:50 -0500
And then there was the engine named after Sabrina...

Uh, Jack I believe the Triumph Swallow Doretti owes it's name to a
woman (Dora, Doris, Doreen ?) who lived on our left coast back in
the 50s... Then there's the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Giulietta. There's
probably more.

>From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
>To: Paul Richardson <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
>CC: fot@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: My mistake
>Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 08:58:00 -0600
>
>Paul -- Glad to see you correct this uncharacteristic error.
>
>After reading your first post, I leaned back in my swivel chair and looked
>at
>the Ken Dallison poster that I got from TRF this summer on the Joe and Jack
>Eastern Tour, and noted the sketch of Gloria herself congratulating Donald
>Healey and Tommy Wisdom when they landed at Folkstone after their 1934
>victory. For a moment I thought the great Ken Dallison had erred and I was
>going to have to destroy the print.
>
>The mention of the Gloria brings up a couple of questions: I know of two
>Southern Cross autos in the U.S. Are there possibly more? What price does
>one
>fetch in the Mother Country?
>
>Secondly, Donald Healey winning in a Triumph -- I need some further
>education
>in the Healey / Triumph connection -- like, was it his oil-coated shoes
>that
>inspired him to go off and build his own cars, or something like that?
>
>Third, who was this Gloria chick? I mean, how many ladies have had the
>honor
>of having a car named after them? Of course there's Mercedes, but I can't
>think of any other (and don't give me any of this Princess stuff).
>
>Paul Richardson wrote:
>
> > Re the seven Triumph Gloria finishes in the Monte Carlo Rally. THIS TOOK
> > PLACE IN THE 1934 EVENT - NOT 1933 AS I PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED - MY
>MISTAKE
> > must have pressed the wrong key.
> >
> > Paul
>
>--
>uncle jack
>TR4 - 10 mpg
>TR6 - 30 mpg
>(diligently engineering my way to the back of the pack)

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois
1962 TR4 (CT4852L)