fot

French humbug

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: French humbug
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 21:33:06 -0000

-Good FOTers all

I decided to qualify various opinions on French sportsmanship by asking
three friends of mine of their experiences over a twenty five year period
in the sport at all levels, I mentioned two of my own personal experiences.
Two are internationally known rally and racing drivers of the highest
echelon, and the other a Team Manager of identical repute and experience
with a big company. They all said virtually the same as the e-mail answer I
received from one of the pro drivers, which I've just downloaded. For
obvious reasons they will all remain anonymous but I've copied the e-mail
to you.

> Hi Paul

> The French did indeed do lots of this sort of stuff. In particular the
> Monte, where French cars were always favoured, and we had lots of
instances
> of Brits and others being shafted. The Iodine Vapour headlights fiasco
just
> for a start. First four cars disqualified so that a Citroen won. Then
> another year, the handicap was so stretched that a DB Panhard just had to
> win, and even though Eric Carlsson's similar sized engine beat them by
miles
> and miles, he was still handicapped out of it, as were the DKW's and our
> Austin A 40's. Another year, it was all secret timing checks, and the
French
> had their "warning" teams out, while we just had to guesstimate our
ETA's.
> Also you were not allowed to check the clock, which made it even more of
> gamble and the Renaults won.
> cheers mate  ------------

PS my question was