fot

was Matters 'Gloria'

To: jmwagner@greenheart.com, fot@autox.team.net (FOT)
Subject: was Matters 'Gloria'
From: GuyotLeonF@AOL.COM
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:50:51 EST
jmwagner@greenheart.com writes:

<< The following January, my father died unexpectedly from a heart attack.
 (He was 72, I was 36.)  As the winter started to clear, I started to
 think about Bill.  I decided I was going to kind of adopt this man.  It
 sounds funny, I know, but with my dad gone, I looked forward to the idea
 of spending some time with Bill.  He was an old pro at his work, and
 although he was only in his 50s, he was one of those guys that had the
 wisdom of many lifetimes.  I checked the dates and was looking forward
 to calling Bill about upcoming Willow races.  In February, my brand new
 black suit came into play a second time.  I was not aware of it, but
 Bill had been having some health problems, and although they expected a
 full recovery, some strange fungus (apparently from his garden!) took
 over his heart cavity, and he died.  It was an odd day to stand in the
 crowd and watch a family deal with a loss of a father and husband so
 soon after my own loss.  It was the Twilight Zone for me.

 My father had driven my car once, reacting very similar to Bill.  I
 think it brought back memories of his youth, when he enjoyed
 convertibles, and, perhaps, a little of his time in the cockpit of a
 Corsair during WWII.  Bill and my Dad are forever a part of my TR 4A.
 When I am beyond the city and the road is clear and winding, I think
 they drop in once in a while, to enjoy the ride.  I have sold off most
 of a restoration project TR 4A, but I still have this car, my driver,
 and despite plans to dive into motorcycles again, in 2000, I hope to
 keep the 4A on the road.

 --Jus >>

Justin, my Triumph friend, I am right there with you...
I lost my own father in April 98, (he was 75, and I was 39), I had completed
my Vitesse project in April 97, after 13 years very hard work, but with much
help from my father. I can point out all the areas that he helped me with,
and have precious photos of our quality time spent together on my Triumph
cars...Shortly after completing my Vitesse, I won the Standard-Triumph
International Rally Vitesse Trophy at the end of May 1997, and he was so
proud of my achievement in 'finally' getting the car finished and winning the
trophy! (I am only happy that he got to see that happen).
He died of infection and complications following an operation on colonic
cancer.
I still miss him every day, as I am sure you do your father.

However, I also had a marvellous friend called Jim Kinghan, from Belfast in
Northern Ireland, he owned the oldest Triumph in the World, being the famous
blue 1923 Triumph 10/20. You may have seen it, and him in Triumph World
magazine?
He was the kind of man who would do anything for anyone at the drop of a hat.
I persuaded him to bring his Triumph to the Triumph 75th Anniversary at
Gaydon in July 1998 and he trailered it there behind his Mercedes.
He had the time of his life, and talked to about everyone, which he loved.
I was proud indeed to give him a ride in my Vitesse, with which he was very
impressed indeed, but very sadly indeed that kind and generous 75 year old
gentleman passed away at home only 17 days after the show.
He over-exerted himself helping his neighbour cut back his hedge.
Somehow, so soon after the loss of my father, that really opened the
emotional floodgates and I took it really badly, although it semed to help me
with my grief over my father.
More recently, in September, I lost another good and long-time friend in my
own Triumph Club.
Sid Jensen was a true gentleman who I had known since at least 1984, he owned
a Signal Red Triumph Vitesse Mk.2 Convertible which he always kept in
immaculate condition and attended many club shows with his wife and won many
concours prizes. On this occassion, I was able to attend his funeral, and
also write an obiturary for the club magazine. He was in his late 70's and
taken by cancer.
I saw him in the summer of 1998, at club meetings which he always enjoyed
attending very much  indeed.
His funeral was held on a blazing hot sunny day in late summer/early autumn,
and I just knew that it was important to attend in my own Signal Red Triumph
Vitesse Convertible. It just seemed so right...Sid would have approved. His
widow was very touched and all his friends extremely pleased.
On talking to his widow, I told her how his Vitesse had inspired me to build
my own 'in it's likeness' because I loved the way it looked. She told me that
he had been very impressed by what I had achieved in building my car, and how
much better than his own (mostly original) car he considered it!
(both of our registration numbers appear on the saje club trophies)
Isn't it a pity that so few of us ever really say to each other what we
really want to say, whilst we still can?

Losing all these people hurts yes, but it is all part of life, and having
been in the close knit Triumph club community for 18+ years.

There is one thing more important than the cars, and that is the people.
Always remember that.

Kind Regards

Léon F Guyot

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible