fot

Clutch help!

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch help!
From: WEmery7451@AOL.COM
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 01:02:19 EST
Subj:   Re: Clutch help!
Date:   12/10/99 9:06:16 PM Pacific Standard Time
From:   WEmery7451
To: susan@bearcom.com

Hello Susan,

The exact same thing happened to me and caused me to miss a SCCA double
regional at Nelson Ledges several years ago.  This is with my TR-3 that I
have raced for the past 35 years.  I was using the stock lightened flywheel
with a heavy-duty clutch assembly.

After working to the wee hours of the night, I decided to fire up the engine
and make the back wheels spin (for some reason) prior to setting the car down
from the jack stands.  I could not get it into gear.  I tried all kinds of
things before pulling my transmission, removing the pressure plate, and
chiseling the disc loose from the flywheel.  My previous race was run in the
rain.

If you can set the car down on the floor and get it into any gear, have
husband, boyfriends, whatever rock it back and forth.  It may break loose.

A few years ago, I went to the aluminum flywheel and Tilton clutch assembly.
This assembly means less rotating mass, which in my opinion means less chance
of cracked three main cranks and reduced bearing wear.  Also, aluminum will
not rust, or freeze up the assembly.  It will corrode if you decide to race
on salt covered streets.  The brackets of our 1979 Ford Wagon back step
bumper broke off like a pretzel due to corroded aluminum brackets.

Good luck.
Bill Emery