fot

Re: Triumphs and the Millenium

To: "Jack W Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: Triumphs and the Millenium
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 14:06:00 -0000
>Nominations are coming in and the International Millenium
Committee is
>readying its list of contributions made by Triumph
automobiles. Get your
>nominations in before nominations close.
>Most valued replacement part -- stamped sheet metal floors
>Biggest contribution to mankind -- patience derived from
dealing with
>Lucas electrics
>Contribution to the world of tools -- wire welder
>Contribution to the world of tools #2 -- cell phone
>Contribution to world affairs -- leaky rear crank seal --
it gave us an
>excuse to rescue Kuwait
>Contribution to conversationalists everywhere -- sealing
the steel shim
>head gasket
>Contributions to literature -- jonmac and Paul Richardson

Hey Jack - I'd have thought the last one would have been
better entitled Contribution to Dissent ?

Here are some more for your delectation and possible
inclusion in this noble tribute to the marque:

1. Contribution to Posterity and Heritage - The demolition
of the factory site
2. Contribution to Roadholding Technology - A 1600 or 2
litre Sports Six with bald rear cross-plies on a wet road
3. Contribution to Sexual Technique - Making the earth move
from the driving seat of a Spitfire
4. Contribution to Longevity - the wet liner TR engine (not
to be read in connection with 3 above)
5. Contribution to Bulls**t - A certain columnist in Triumph
World who was a contemporary of the Contributors to Dissent
5a. Contribution to Variable Opinion - another Triumph World
columnist.
6. Contribution to Perseverance - achieving a satisfactory
panel fit on any TR body up to and including the TR6
7. Contribution to The Impossible - indisputably awarded
in perpetuity to Mr. A.G. Brown and his team of
painters, welders and tin bashers for consistently achieving
a standard of finish on any Standard Triumph car at the
London Motor Shows which exceeded the best that Rolls Royce
could do
8. Contribution to Desecration - killing off the Triumph
name
9. Contribution to Bloody Stupid Questions - any proposers
and seconders?
10. Contribution to Astonishment - being able to drive a
TR4A
from the factory to London with no coolant
11. Contribution to the Unbelievable - siting the Gents
toilet directly above the high pressure water test on the
assembly track
12. Contribution to Pedantry - speculation as to whether the
TR bonnet latch was painted or plated.
13. Contribution to Common Sense - fitting the Spitfire
engine and gearbox in the MG Midget
14. Contribution to Misty Eyed Sadness - the memory of
sitting in any Triumph driving seat, twisting the ignition
key and driving it off the line under its own power for the
very first time.

Jonmac