fot

RE: VTR 2000 Convention Press Release

To: "'Bob Lang'" <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: RE: VTR 2000 Convention Press Release
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:30:38 -0600
RM Lang wrote:

> Anyone know a good way to strap a windsurfer to a TR6??

I remember how I built the support bracket I used to attach a surfboard to
my Healey back in the 60's . . . will that do?

A three-sided rectangle (triangulated) attached to the rear bumper, with the
top of the bracket a few inches higher than the top of the windshield.

                /______________________________________/
_____________
                      /         _ surfboard    | \___\          |  /     \

    \________________/_|_______//____________  |                | /       \

   -()   ____                        ____    \_|_ <--bracket--> |/
\|
    //  /    \                      /    \    ||                |

     \_|     |_____________________|     |___/

Detail to suit: U-shaped brackets at the bottom of the "main hoop" to rest
on the rear bumper so no holes have to be drilled; bungies to creatively
attach everything together.

Net result:
     1) No need to bring top along. If you encounter rain, slide the
windsurfer to the left to cover your head, unfurl the tonneau cover to
protect those extra sticky tires I know you'll be carrying on the passenger
side, and roll up the driver's side window.

     2) In a pinch, yet _another_ set of tires can be strapped to the top of
the windsurfer.

     3) Remember why you built the bracket a few inches higher than the
windshield? That's right . . . downforce! Your cornering speeds and braking
power should improve dramatically. And that fin on the windsurfer has got to
do wonders for stability at high speeds.

     4) A windburned, sunburned Bob + Vintage TR + windsurfer = CHICK
MAGNET!

Jim Hill
Madison WI