fot

Replacement of Historical Driver's Suit

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Replacement of Historical Driver's Suit
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:20:46 EST
Dear FOT,

I am in the process of replacing my historical driver's suit.  I bought this
suit over three decades ago from the recently late Ed Lowther, when it was no
longer legal to spray fireproofing on the Red Baron suits.  This suit has
been clearing Tec Inspection the last five years by my wearing it to the
tracks covered by pants and sweatshirts, thereby camouflaging the numerous
spots that were sewed.  While sitting on the grid at Watkins Glen this fall,
my son silently detected two more slits.

He recently bought a Bell Falcon Kevlar suit from Racer Wholesale for his
driver's school.  My spring/summer catalog indicates that Racer Wholesale no
longer handles Bell equipment.  I am presently plowing through a Simpson
catalog (and several others) and being overwhelmed from all the options and
data.  My GCR is the 1998 issue (ordered a new one).  I assumed that the SFI
3-2A/1 and SFI 3-2A/5 requirements have not changed.

My lard factor (your height in inches divided into your weight in pounds)
travels in a sin wave.  I assume my estimated largest condition with margin
should be used to size the suit.  Also, to save time, I wrench on the car in
the suit, covering it with old pants and sweatshirts.  Durability should be
another consideration.

I plan on racing mostly Regional Races and an occasional National Race.  Do
any of you have suggestions on what approach I should take, or what is a
reasonable level suit that I should buy?  Any opinions will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Bill Emery