fot

Armed police

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Armed police
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2000 17:37:57 -0000
Scott Barr asked if we are ever challenged in England by policemen with
guns. The answer is a definite NO - unless police are certain they are
faced by armed criminals.

There are several 'Special police vehicles'  within our general police
system that patrol with two highly trained policemen on board who have
firearms locked in compartments in the cars. These are essentially armed
response vehicles on permanent call.

If any of our police come across a situation whereby armed criminals are
afoot when they are on general patrol, a phone call to base is needed to
call for armed assistance. Our 'coppers,' blest their hearts, patrol with a
truncheon and a pair of handcuffs. We do have special armed response police
or 'SWAT' teams.

If a major problem breaks out with armed criminals, or terrorists, bearing
in mind the relatively small nature of our island, a typical response would
almost definitely include the services of an extremely elite group of
special forces from a 'little training camp near Hereford,"  who can be
virtually anywhere in England by chopper in an hour. Members of the FOT
group might have seen them clear out terrorists from an Embassy in London a
few years ago - they don't piss about.

We have very high security at our airports, and FOTers who've traveled to
London will have noticed our special police patrolling with pistols and
automatic rifles. This is only seen at airports.

Luckily, the incidence of confrontations with armed criminals in the UK is
extremely rare, although it does happen of course and we have our share of
nutcases. In all my life in the UK I have never seen an armed patrolman.

I have held a shot gun license for about 38 years, for game and clay
shooting. But to get this license would be impossible for anyone with any
police record or health problems, and several references have to be
obtained from a Justice of the Peace or notary public as to one's
character. Licence holders are regularly subjected to spot checks by the
police firearms dept -  I'm thankful for that.

I would imagine that probably 99% of the British public have never seen a
hand gun - or a firearm of any sort, apart from the ones we played 'Cowboys
and Indians' with as children.

Paul